Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Malaysian Dreamer

A friend of mine once told me if the world was made up of all things aviation, I would be a rockstar. Did I believe him? No. Was I flattered? You bet!

After studying accounting at the London School of Economics, I returned home to head the local operations of Time Warner Inc.’s music business where I eventually rose to head the company’s Southeast Asian operation. In 2001, I finally quit my job and made THE decision to go into the airline business. That same year along with some partners, I formed a partnership to set up Tune Air Sdn Bhd and bought AirAsia for a token sum of RM1.00. Subsequently AirAsia was remodelled into a low cost carrier and by January 2002, our vision to make air travel more affordable for Malaysians and all Asians took flight. I’ve also set up AirAsia X, a low-cost long-haul carrier currently flying from Malaysia to China and Australia. You also might have heard that through a company named Tune Ventures, I have interests in a budget hotel, a financial-services company and a mobile-phone service provider.
In 2008 I made my acting debut in a Malaysian made movie entitled Cuci. Then came an appearance in a music video for a song recorded in the spirit of national unity called Here in My Home. I had loads of fun doing both.

by Tony Fernandes.

Check out his personal blog at http://www.tonyfernandesblog.com

No comments: