What you need:
- One handful of red honey tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- One handful of golden honey tomatoes or golden cherry tomatoes
- Two cloves of garlic – grated
- Handful of sweet basil leaves (Italian not Thai)
- A very generous pouring of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt (Available at Cold Storage or at Supermarkets)
- Black pepper
The quality of the extra virgin olive oil is very important, and the olive oils does lend a lot to the salad in terms of taste. There are some great Italian and Spanish olive oils available, try to chose an olive oil that is rich in colour and looks thick in the bottle – do not go for a pale and watery version for this salad. The olive oil I use has a greenish tone, a rich and slightly peppery taste and smells delicious.
- Wash the tomatoes and chop in half the larger ones, no need to chop all of them up! Wash and roughly chop the basil – do not include the stems, mainly for aesthetic purposes. Place into bowl with the tomatoes, peel and grate the two clove of garlic and add.
- Next pour over a generous amount of the olive oil, this is not an exact science and is best judged by eye. Make sure the tomatoes are coated, so the whole bowl of tomato salad is glistening with the oil. Glistening, but not drowning in it!
- Finally sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and the sea salt. Have a little taste and add more as required.